Glistening snow-capped mountains, sparkling blue lakes and golden tussock grasslands. The vast, majestic landscape of the Mackenzie area including Aoraki / Mount Cook National Park is home to some of New Zealand’s most unique and memorable visitor experiences.
With the peak of Aoraki dominating the landscape at a towering 3724m, the activities on offer in this alpine resort area are as varied as the visitors who enjoy it year round. Whatever your choice, from active pursuits to relaxation and indulgence, you’ll enjoy all whilst soaking up some of the most stunning and famous scenery on the planet. Aoraki Mt Cook Village is just 12km from the summit of Aoraki, and offers a wide range of facilities, accommodation and activities.
Aoraki Mt Cook Village Highlights
- Sir Edmund Hillary Centre – a fascinating tribute to one of the world’s greatest mountaineers and explorers - inside the internationally acclaimed Hermitage Hotel in the heart of Aoraki/Mt Cook village.
- the majestic Tasman Glacier – the longest in New Zealand
- kayak or cruise on a glacial lake
- walking tracks, horse trekking and guided alpine tours
- Skiing and heli-skiing
- Alps 2 Ocean (A2O) cycle trail
- 4WD safaris
- Scenic flights take you closer to the dramatic Southern Alps and provide stunning vistas
- Aorkai Mt Cook, the 27 other mountains in this alpine backbone and the network of the Southern Lakes
- Fishing in alpine streams, rivers and lakes
- Enjoy the tastes of South Canterbury including alpine salmon and other specialities
- It's no surprise people decide to stay longer, Aoraki/ Mount Cook Accommodation options