|To edit to your business description text go to the ‘Other fields’ tab above.
Four Peaks High Country Track is a walking, tramping, hiking and/or mountain biking experience, situated on Four Peaks Station - a working high country sheep station – near Fairlie, South Canterbury.
Offering walking, tramping and/or mountain biking packages of up to 3 or 4 day duration, a spectacular opportunity to experience a South Island high country station, pristine scenery and shepherds huts.
Sutherland's Hut Experience – Visit NZ’s oldest shepherd’s hut still in use
Trips depart from Farm Barn Cafe, 4 Mount Michael Road, SH79, Geraldine - Fairlie Highway, 8km north of Fairlie.
- Allow 2 - 3 hours for this unique and iconic experience.
- Be taken by 4WD vehicle to visit & experience the historic Sutherland’s Hut, on Four Peaks Station. Depart/return Farm Barn Cafe.
- Enjoy the half hour drive with views of the expansive high country along the route.
- Be taken back over 150 years to a time when shepherds worked in this remote environment on foot and horseback, sheltering in huts.
- See a real shepherd working with sheep dogs to guide a small flock of high country sheep.
- Breathe in the pristine high country air and enjoy a delicious 'kiwi' picnic lunch.
- Chat with your hosts and learn about farming practices on their 5,300 hectare station and how they have changed over the past century.
Sutherland's hut is 700m above sea level and exposed to the extreme environment, it is only accessible during the warmer months from 1 October until 30 April.
Closed 25 & 26 December and 1 January.
Departure times are by arrangement, between 10.00am - midday
Minimum 2 people, maximum 8 people per group $395 per person
Enquiries Welcome: Jo McAtamney ph: 027 454 7289 or 03 685 4848 (evenings)