Temuka is 20 minutes north of Timaru on State Highway 1. The township has a population of around 4,000 and functions as a service town for the surrounding rural area. Temuka was the home of Richard Pearce, who raced the Wright Brothers to become the first person to fly. In 1902 he flew his home built machine for a short distance before landing ungracefully on a gorse hedge.
Other attractions include the iconic Temuka Pottery and fishing. With its close proximity to several rivers providing plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation and camping.
The township of Temuka is a popular relaxation stop with visitors and locals alike, with its close proximity to several rivers providing plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation and camping.
- Temuka Domain – 75 hectares of established grounds right in the township. Enjoy 18 hole golf course, mini-golf, Skate Park, heated outdoor swimming pool (open Nov-Mar), tennis, bowls, Cycling & Walking tracks through the beautiful Temuka reserve, home of ‘Magpies’ Temuka rugby, Alpine Energy Stadium with full size basketball court and lounge, pentanque, and community run bird aviary
- Holiday Park and camping sites – in the heart of Temuka Domain, surrounded by sports grounds and facilities, playgrounds, established trees and walkways accommodating around 1,000 campers.
- Walking and mountain-biking along the Opihi River Stop Bank track
- Browse through antique and collectible stores
- Enjoy crowd-free shopping
- Explore local galleries and museums
- Iconic Temuka Pottery Retail Shop located within the historic Mendelson Barn complex with 100% Homemade Café (the township of Temuka has been home to the famous Temuka Pottery since the 1930s)
- Rivers with great sites for swimming and fishing
- Richard William Pearse Memorial – the area was once home to pioneer aviator and inventor Richard Pearse, who locals know as the man who flew before the Wright Brothers early in 1903
- Try local fare at friendly cafes and restaurants including 100% Homemade Café and The Jolly Potter
- Visit on sale day (first Monday each month) at the historic Temuka Saleyards, one of the few remaining of its kind, for an up-close look at farm animals and real Kiwi farmers in action!
- It's not surprising people choose to stay a while longer, Temuka Accommodation and Temuka Property & Real Estate
Map of Temuka